Thursday, July 25, 2013

A Roof Over My Head

Does it seem like I'm always talking about moving to New York?

Yeah, that's life lately. Unfortunately, I've been doing more complaining than praising in this season of preparation, especially when it comes to my house. We need to sell the darn thing before we can afford NYC rent and it feels like a boat anchor around my neck right now. I'm not worried about it selling but I have this terrible habit of worrying about when it's actually going to be put on the market (something I am not in control of).

Some of you may remember that a whole year before we were called to Brooklyn, I had this irrepressible urge to move out of our house and into an apartment. I'm calling that the Spirit of God, but then my flesh took over and began filling my mind with 1,001 reasons why I hate owning a home. Three years is a long time to be ungrateful about a gift, don't you think?

I recently reminded myself that complaining arises from a proud spirit that demands my "rights" while gratitude says, "I deserve nothing but have received everything". So today, I'm going to share why I'm thankful for the roof over my head.

What I Love About My House
  1. Our large (by South Minneapolis standards) backyard
  2. The beautiful bathroom my husband remodeled
  3. A sizeable working kitchen, which holds an oven we found FOR FREE when we moved in 8 years ago
  4. My washer and dryer on the first level (oh, so endlessly convenient!)
  5. Walking distance to three parks, three grocery stores, the farmers market, the light rail, the bank, Target, and the library
  6. The wonderful memories of hosting friends, prayer nights, counseling sessions, and family in all our lovely space
  7. Giving birth to both our daughters here
  8. Amazing insulation, thanks to my husband replacing every single window, which keeps our energy bill low and the house warm/cool enough for every season
  9. Hardwood floors
  10. And then there's the obvious - a safe place where our family has grown together
I am looking forward to saying good-bye to this house and I am really happy for its future owner. But I am also so thankful for all that God has given to us in this space!

What about you? Where should you be thanking instead of complaining?

No comments:

Post a Comment