Saturday, October 8, 2011

03.13.11 A Few of My Favorite Things

I'm not much of a possessions person.  When asked what I would grab, in case of a fire in my home, there is not a single thing that pops immediately to my mind.  When I loan out my stuff, I don't actually expect to get it back. 

But after I took inventory of my household, I did find three items that hold some emotional value to me -
  1. The christening gown that was handmade by my great-grandmother for my grandfather's baptism in 1915 (then worn by my mother at hers).  I love the history involved in this simple, beautiful gown, and I am so thankful that Maren could wear it on Mother's Day two years ago when we dedicated her to God.  
  2. An equally historic lavaliere.  Maren's great-great-grandmother, Louise Lee, received this lavaliere as an engagement present in 1914.  Louise then gave it to her daughter Margaret Lee, who allowed her daughter Carol Lee to wear it as a teenager.  At my grandmother (Margaret)'s 90th birthday last month, she gave it me, Nicole Lee, so that I can pass it on to my daughter, Maren Lee.  So this is not only a historic piece of jewelry in my family, but it also represents the 5 generations of women with the middle name "Lee".
  3. My genuine leather, wide-margin Bible that Michael gave me for Christmas in 2001.  I LOVE everything about this Bible - the soft leather cover makes it soothing to hold, the large spaces in the margins give me plenty of room to write, and the lack of cross-references and study notes allow me to choose what information I want to record.  This Bible will last me a long time, and I cherish reading through it and coming across thoughts and prayers over the years.  A runner-up to my Bible is the wide-margin genuine leather notetaking Bible that I bought when Maren was born.  I use this Bible to record my prayers for Maren and to encourage her through scripture.  I plan to give it to her as a gift sometime in her young adult life, and I hope she will cherish it as much as I cherish writing to her in it.       
Only 2 posts left in the series!
  • Day Nine: Two images that describe my life or myself right now.
  • Day Ten: One confession.

No comments:

Post a Comment